Thursday, September 11, 2014

get ready for a new beginning!

I didn't know yet... I thought toddlers are all the same. Hyper, restless, "i-don't-care- as- long-as-i will-do- what- i- want" attitude. I saw plenty scenarios like that in the mall. Kids that are like mini monsters growling & crying for lollipops, toys and french fries and those dying to go to the playground.  But there was one kid that captured me. An angelic-looking, jolly & always-running toddler. I thought he was just very happy that he cannot even hear he is being called. But the anguish yaya commented to herself "ang hirap tlaga magalaga ng autistic na bata" (it is difficult indeed to take care of an autistic child.) 

I didn't care about autism before. All i know is one should have more patience to understand the child who has it because they have different thinking, different reasoning & different life... 

Not until i have my own. Kharll Anthony. 3rd among the siblings. 

I was on my 3rd unexpected pregnancy... followed doctor's advise religiously. Performed all the necessary tests and ultrasounds to make sure that i'm ok and our baby. It was my 3rd CS operation and mind you, i give birth in CS-way yearly so I really need to be monitored by my OB. That would mean, all the needed care was applied :) 

Then came the big day again for us. God gave us a healthy baby boy. We are all excited  especially his ate and kuya who were waiting for 9 months :) 

Our 1st 2 kids are very smart. They are like sponge absorbing what they see and hear... so I focused too on Kharll's development cause I want him to excel too. I want him to be as smart as his 2 siblings... Everyday, everyhour when he is awake, I always talk to him... introduce new kids' songs for him, bought "intellectual" toys to stimulate his senses. We were doing good... better. 

Everybody witnessed his development. I told myself, "I was right... he, too, will excel". He sang songs he just heard from me with actions... he was able to mumble early. He was able to walk a week earlier than his ate and kuya. 

One dreadful night, because of his careless yaya, my kid touched the boiling kettle. Kharll was 15months that time. We rushed him to the hospital with a second degree burn on his right hand. He was crying so hard. He will sleep crying and wake up crying. I could feel his pain. 

Few days after the incident, he became quiet. Less talk, less play. I thought he was just not feeling well or traumatized because of what happened. We ignored the changes. Days passed by, we felt that something was not right. We tried calling him by his name but he never looked as if he didn't hear anything. He then played with his toys alone. His favorite was toy blocks... and he started to line-up the blocks... 

I started to research on the net about his behaviour.  Found similar situations and acts like how I observed my son. Doing the linear thing. Playing Alone. No words coming from his mouth except for "AAH", flapping his hands when he is excited, giggling alone... his development regressed. He couldn't sing the songs he used to sing. He can't utter the words mommy and daddy anymore... I was disheartened. My world shut down.

At first, I was on denial that my kid might be special. I told myself that maybe it was just because of the accident. I tried very hard to bring back what was before but I didn't succeed. As I continue to research on my son's case... one thing trigerred me to seek professional help... "EARLY INTERVENTION"... it might bring my son back to normal. I was full of hope that maybe, there is just something that needs to be straigthened out. I don't know. Just maybe... 

My son was 1 year and 8mos when I started to look for a Development Pediatrician. Asked for recommendations from friends and relatives.. When I found one, the doctor has questions I can't answer because Kharll was too young that time and questions were not applicable for such a young age to diagnose his case. He suggested to wait until he turned two then come back to him again... When we are scheduled to have a check-up, I was praying and hoping that he will say, "there's nothing wrong with your kid".... Inside the clinic, he behaved like other normal toddlers. In a span of 2 hours of observation and interviewing my child, the doctor cannot give his clear diagnosis yet. He advised us to take some hearing tests, occupational therapy and comeback to him after 3months to see any improvements. After 3months, still, no diagnosis.

We visited the therapy center. The therapist who assessed my child said, he needs Occupational Therapy and the Applied Behavioral Analysis. So we pushed with these therapies with the go signal of the DevPed. 

In the process of my kid's therapy, I've looked for another DevPed. Thinking and hoping that he will not be categorized as a special child. But after her thorough observation, the doctor diagnosed that Kharll has an  Autism Spectrum Disorder. I cried in front of the doctor. I lost hope. I asked myself, why me? what did i do wrong? was it the accident that triggered his disorder? is it genetically acquired? what happened to him? what will happen to him? why? what? how will he survive? why him? .... 

Weeks had passed before I came to realize that these questions need not be answered.  It would't help me and Kharll to "grow"...  I have to accept the fact that my son has special needs that he needs support and understanding. It is really the first step that parents need to do -ACCEPTANCE. We provided what he basically needs. Love, understanding, patience. Lots of it!  Not only from us but from all the people around him. With these, he is starting to recognize that he is not alone in this world. That he has a purpose in life. 

 and this is where our journey started... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment